Peppermint Chippers are a family favorite for the holidays! They're basically just chocolate chip cookies with crushed candy canes but the cookie recipe is different than the one I use for chocolate chip cookies.
They are soooo good. You can even freeze them and eat them just as they start thawing - cold, pepperminty, chewy, crunchy. Yum.
cookies for Santa!
source: family favorite recipe
• 1 cup shortening
• 1 cup sugar
• ½ cup brown sugar
• 2 teaspoons vanilla
• 2 eggs
• 2 cups flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 ½ teaspoons salt
• 2 cups chocolate chips
• 1 cup crushed peppermint candy canes (about 8 candy canes) *see kitchen tip*
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Cream together the shortening, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Add eggs and mix well.
3. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture.
4. Stir in chocolate chips and peppermint candy.
5. Drop by spoonfuls onto a baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
To crush the candy canes, unwrap them, put them in a plastic bag and break them with a meat mallet or rolling pin. Don't break them up too small or you'll end up with candy cane powder!