1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cayenne and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat beat butter, shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Add vanilla extract.
- Slowly pour dry ingredients into mixture and beat until combined.
- In a shallow dish, stir together sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll dough into walnut sized balls, and roll in cinnamon and sugar until coated. Place dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake until the cookies have spread and are crackly on top, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cookies cool for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.