Chile relleno means "stuffed chile" - traditionally roasted poblano peppers, stuffed with cheese and other goodies, then coated in a flour/egg batter and fried. This casserole is a nice spin on the traditional relleno. If you wanted to add meat, you could try chorizo sausage or shredded beef.
I had expected my husband home at a certain time and began preparing the casseroles thinking I would pop them in the oven when he called to say he was on his way home. He ended up working late (as accountants often do this time of year) and I realized how easy these are to make ahead! Prepare the ramekins with the dry ingredients (step 2), prepare egg mixture according to step 3. Cover everything and keep in the fridge for later. Then follow step 4 and 5!
Two mini casseroles each was plenty for my husband and me (the recipe is easy to cut in half if you're just cooking for two). I served it alongside fresh pineapple and strawberries and these amazing green chili corn tortillas I came across at Whole Foods the other day. Simple, delicious and ridiculously easy.
source: modified from EatingWell.com
prep time: 10 min.
cook time: 25-35min.
total time: 35-45min.
serves: 4 (two 6oz. casseroles or one 10oz. casserole each)
2 (4oz.) cans diced green chiles, drained and patted dry
3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed and patted dry
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup Cheddar or Pepper Jack cheese (or combo), shredded
1 1/2 cups milk
4 large egg whites
6 large eggs
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat eight 6-ounce or four 10-ounce heatproof ramekins with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
- Equally divide green chiles, corn and green onions among the ramekins. Top with cheese.
- Whisk milk, egg whites, eggs, flour, chili powder and salt in a medium bowl until combined and clumps are gone. Divide egg mixture evenly among ramekins.
- Bake in preheated oven until tops begin to brown and eggs are set (about 25-30 minutes for 6-ounce ramekins and 30-35 minutes for 10-ounce ramekins).*
* I had 7-ounce ramekins and they baked for about 30 minutes.